Art Futures Fellowship
FRONT International: Cleveland Triennial for Contemporary Art occupies a unique place in the arts ecosystem of Cleveland. As the organizer of a major international contemporary art exhibition and a convener of visual arts institutions in the region, FRONT is an important platform for artists to gain recognition and build careers. In this role, FRONT has a responsibility to help turn the tables on systemic inequity in the visual arts by increasing access to opportunities and resources for local artists of color.
FRONT is introducing a three-year Art Futures Fellowship program for emerging Northeast Ohio-based visual artists of color (Black, Latinx, Indigenous, and Asian American Pacific Islander) that will provide significant and sustained financial and professional support for career development and opportunity. The Fellowship will be awarded on a three-year cycle to three recipients who live and work in Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Lorain, Portage, or Summit counties. Awardees will be honored at the FRONT Gala on Thursday, July 14, 2022.
Application deadline: Wednesday, May 11, 2022. *Applications are now closed*
Please reach out with any questions to Deidre McPherson, FRONT Director of Artistic and Community Initiatives, at email@example.com.
• Increase visibility and representation of Black, Latinx, Indigenous and AAPI artists to help our region’s arts ecosystem be more reflective of our region’s diversity.
• Build long-term support that can lead to transformational professional development and a sustainable career as an artist.
• Engage with Northeast Ohio-based artists on a deeper level by providing them with agency in the development of FRONT 2025.
Fellowship Award Includes:
• $25,000 in unrestricted support paid over the three-year period of the Fellowship.
• Two FRONT-funded and organized professional trips (one domestic and one international).
• Participation on FRONT 2025’s Artistic Team.
• Opportunity to work with the FRONT curatorial team to develop exhibition or programming opportunities in advance of the 2025 exhibition.
• Invitation to participate in the FRONT 2025 exhibition.
• Support from FRONT curatorial staff who will work with each Fellow to tailor their experience to support their career goals and FRONT 2025 project needs.
• Access to FRONT’s network of presenting partner institutions, established artists, gallerists, journalists, and curators who may offer advisory support.
• Small business advisory and professional development support with Assembly for the Arts.
• Public recognition at and a pair of VIP tickets to the FRONT 2022 Gala on Thursday, July 14, 2022.
Review Criteria & Selection Process:
Application criteria will be based on the following criteria:
• Quality and scope of the work
• Evidence of long-term commitment to artistic practice
• Ability to participate in programming, travel, etc.
• Willingness and ability to plan and complete a new body of work for the FRONT 2025 exhibition
Nominating & Selection Committee:
A group of community partners will publicize and promote the Fellowship, nominate applicants, and select a group of finalists:
• Fred Bidwell, FRONT
• Michael Gill, CAN Triennial
• Tirzah Legg, FAVA Gallery
• Letitia Lopez, Julia de Burgos Cultural Arts Center
• Deidre McPherson, FRONT
• Dara Harper, Akron Black Artist Guild
• Michael Russell, Museum of Creative Human Art
• Annie Wischmeyer, FRONT
FRONT Artistic Team:
The FRONT Artistic Team will select final Fellowship awardees:
• Evelyn Burnett, ThirdSpace Action Lab
• Courtenay Finn, moCa Cleveland
• Prem Krishnamurthy, FRONT
• Tina Kukielski, Art21
• Emily Liebert, Cleveland Museum of Art
• Kameelah Janan Rasheed, Artist
• Tereza Ruller, The Rodina
• Murtaza Vali, Curator-At-Large